Amargosa Valley is off Hwy 373 about 53 miles from Pahrump.
Amargosa is Spanish for ‘better water.’ Amargosa Valley was named after the seasonal desert river that flows when rainwater floods the washes and becomes the Amargosa River. In the 1800s, the Southern Paiute and the western Shoshone tribes occupied the area. In 1830, mountain men, horse traders, and pioneers opened a trail throug this area that ran from Santa Fe, New Mexico to Los Angeles, California later used as the route to southern California and the gold–the Old Spanish Trail.
Dunes are 29 miles south of Beatty, just 7.6 miles from the junction of 373 & 95 past the Amargosa Valley junction. Singing dunes. motorcycle and ATV trails.
There’s some BIG terrain in Amargosa Valley, read to be explored by ATV and other off-road vehicles. Located southwest off US Hwy 95 on Hwy 373, you can also journey through history by exploring the valley itself.
Big Dune (Amargosa Dunes) duneguide.com
This playground encompasses about 5 square miles of dunes and dips, with the center peak topping out at 500 feet. These hills are a well-kept secret and mostly used by the locals, but expect to find plenty of other off-roaders on the weekends. The dunes are 7.6 miles north of the junciton of 373 & 95. Turn left at Valley View and drive about 2 miles west. Turn right at the dirt road leading to the dunes.
Beatty located 77 miles norht of Pahrump on Hwy 95.
The Nevada Test Site is due east of Beatty and one of the largest employers in this area.
Beatty was founded in the late 1800s as the central supply hub of the Bullfrog Mining District, Beatty is steeped in local history and offers visitors a look into its mining past. Checkout Beatty Museum & Historical Society on Main Street 775.553.2303 www.beattymuseum.org. The museum features documents, books, photos, and artifacts that retell the history of Beatty’s mining days. There is an outdoor display of equipment used at the Bullfrog Mining District.
Rhyolite Ghost Town, off Hwy 374 (Death Valley Pass) about 4 miles west of Beatty Info: 775.553-2424
Rhyolite is another vivid example of the boom and bust cycle of most of Nevada Mining towns. Gold was discovered in Rhyolite in 1904 by famous Death Valley prospector Frank “shorty” Harris. By 1907 as estimated 6,000 people had flocked to this boom town in the desert. Rhyolite turned out to be a disappointment in terms of gold production. While there was gold in the area, it was difficult ot extract. Today, Rhyolite is one of the most photogenic of Nevada’s ghost towns. Rhyolite also has one of the last bottle houses in the state, built with more than 20,000 bottles.
Goldwell Open Air Museum located at Rhyolite
The museum is a 7.8 acre outdor sculpture site near the ghost town of Rhyolite. It originated in 1984 with the creation and installation of a major sculputre, The Last Supper, by Belgian artist Albert Szukaiski. The museum features an historic early 1900’s house, offers a total seven monumental sculpuures back-dropped by spectacular south-facing views across the Mojave Desert and is surrounded by varied desert terrains.
If you have time, Visit Scotty’s Castle in North Death Valley. Hwy 267 off Hwy 95 near Beatty or off Hwy 190 in Death Valley 760.786.2392. www.nps.gov/deva
This Mediterranean style hacienda with its famulous interiors, is a must see! Constrction was started in 1925, and went until 1933, but was never fully completed. Amazing air conditioning engineering, gaudy romanisque gardens. Tales are told by guides wearing clothing from the era.